Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Updates!

Back in civilization on the UVic campus.
We did a 6 day canoe trip down the Fraser River from Hope to Vancouver and it was awesome. We paddled in rivers and in the ocean and the water was lovely. We got to meet a lot of speakers that talked about issues with the water and First Nations and salmon and white sturgeons. It was great to paddle through nature to industry and it was crazy to see the changes.
There was also this place we stopped to do our Bio Lab sampling which I would like to call "Shit Creek" because it was a creek which I can say, with some level of certainty, is full of SHIT. Walking down to get a sample was torture... Iwas literally knee deep in SHIT. The mud was disgusting and I was ready to kill something. It was funny because in our samples we only found two benthyic invertebrates - dipturas to be exact - and theny were dead. For those who do not know, dipturas indicate an unhealthy stream and since they weren't even alive, Shit Creek has a LOT of shit to deal with.
Well, I cleaned up in Vancouver, staying at this awesome hostel and met this group at the YMCA program and I African-danced with them along with Joy, Lara, Trina and Kayleigh - to the amusement of everyone else. It was awesome.
Vancouver is a pretty nice place and the day off there was nice because I went Whale Watching with Elaine and Joy and we had the back of the boat to ourselve (WE WERE ON A BOAT!) and we sang and danced a whole lot, saw seal lions, eagle, blue herons and one Grey Whale so we got a free return visit because they weren't satisfied although it was a pretty awesome trip/sweet deal.
I took the ferry to Victoria on my birthday and I kind of passed out with exhaution so I didn't get to enjoy it but then I went shopping with Joy and I sort of look like a girl now! It was a good birthday with cake and card games and whatnot so I was pretty happy although I kind of had a mid-life crisis haha
Anyways enough rambling because you're all updated!
Love,
Salimah

No comments:

Post a Comment